Read Dorothy Sayers: "The Lost Tools of Learning".

Thursday, December 11, 2008

1836 First Eclectic Reader: Lesson XXIV - The new Slate


Dictionary lookup: slate (Get a dictionary and look up what slate means). Did the boy have a good imagination? What would you imagine if you had paper or a slate to draw on? Give it a try.



The new Slate

Here is a little boy who had a new slate given to him. It was bought for him by his father, that he might learn arithmetic. One day he made some pictures on his slate. Look here, Charles, I have drawn a boy on my new slate. See what a long nose he has! Ah! He has but one arm. Now I will draw a milk laid with her pail. There, I have drawn a pig and a hen, and a duck. Why the pig has but two legs, and the duck has four. Well, i can rub out two of the duck's legs and give them to the pig. There, now I will draw a man with a whip in his hand. The man has come to put the pig in the pen. Why, the man is not as tall as the pig. I must rub them all out, for they are not well done. There, I have a boy with a nest full of eggs in his hand. he is a bad boy to take a poor bird's nest. and here is Betty, the maid. She has come to take me to bed. Well if it is time, I must go. Put my slate away, that i may have it safe when i want to draw.


Vocabulary
Charles, them, hand, Betty,
done, put, drawn, nest,
long, little, may, maid,
given, what, must, father,
will, draw, picture, pail,
man, new, four, eggs,
now, all, bad, with,
want, have, and duck.


First level Recommendations:

Second Level Recommendations:

Third Level Recommendations:

Fourth Level Recommendations:

Fifth Level Recommendations:

Sixth Level Recommendations: