Read Dorothy Sayers: "The Lost Tools of Learning".

Thursday, February 26, 2009

1836 First Eclectic Reader: Lesson XXXII. - Little Lucy.

Do you like to read? Can reading be as fun as play? What is so good about reading? Create a list of adjectives describing why it is good to read. The list should have atleast four adjectives.


Little Lucy.

Lucy, can you read? Yes sir, I can. Would you rather read than play? Yes sir, I would, because mama tells me that play will not be of any use to me after I am grown. If I love to read, I will be wise and good. A little boy or girl who can not read is not much better than Puss. Puss can run and play, as well as they. Puss can never learn to read. Boys who do not know how to read can not learn anything, but what is told to them. When a boy of girl knows how to read, they can sit down and learn a great deal, when there is no one to talk to them. After boys and girls have learned to read, they can learn to write. Then they can send letters to their friends, who live far away.



Vocabulary.

know, cannot, because,
friends, mama, away,
much, rather, letters,
learned, better, and never.

First level Recommendations:

Second Level Recommendations:

Third Level Recommendations:

Fourth Level Recommendations:

Fifth Level Recommendations:

Sixth Level Recommendations: