Read Dorothy Sayers: "The Lost Tools of Learning".

Tuesday, September 2, 2008

1836 First Eclectic Reader: Lesson X - The Sun is Up

Give a vocabulary quiz for this lesson and make the children create ten sentences using the words in the vocabulary list. Talk about the almighty and constant presence of God for this lesson and ask them what things make them think about God.




The Sun is Up.

See, the sun is up. The sun gives us light. It makes the trees and the grass grow. The sun rises in the east and sets in the west. When the sun rises, it is day. When the sun sets it is night. This little boy was up at five. He saw the sun rise, and heard the sweet songs of birds on every bush. Do you know who made the sun? God made it. God made the moon and all the stars. How good God is to us. He gives us all we have, and keeps us alive. We should love God. God sees and knows all things, for God is everywhere. He sees me when I rise from my bed, and when I go out to walk and play. When I lie down to sleep at night, He keeps me from harm. Though I do not see the wind, yet it blows around me on all sides. God is with me at all times, and yet I see Him not. If God is with me, and knows all that I do, He must hear what I say. Oh, let me not, speak bad words. If I do, God will not love my ways.

Vocabulary

sun, grass, should, must,
light, then, makes, hear,
birds, things, knows, east,
little, boy, all, five,
sweet, birds, every, bush,
God, sees, when, rise,
how, play, sides, sleep,
hear, though, times, say,
keeps, harm, speak, words

Lessons in this series:

First level Recommendations:

Second Level Recommendations:

Third Level Recommendations:

Fourth Level Recommendations:

Fifth Level Recommendations:

Sixth Level Recommendations: