Read Dorothy Sayers: "The Lost Tools of Learning".

Friday, September 12, 2008

1836 First Eclectic Reader: Lesson XV. - Little Henry

For this lesson write a short essay on the last book you read. Talk about the actions and results of James, John, and George.


Lesson XV


Little Henry.

Well, Henry, what have you read in your new book? I read of three boys who went to school. Each of them had a fine large cake. James ate so much that it made him sick. George kept his so long that it got dry, and was not fit to eat. John gave some of his cake to each of his school mates, and then took a piece himself. he gave the rest to an old blind man. The old man could not see to work for his food. So John gave him a share of his cake. How kind John was! I love kind boys and girls. We must be kind and good to the blind. If we were blind, we would be glad to meet with kind folks, who would give us something to eat. When I have read my book, Ann, I will lend it to you, and I will read to Jane. I dare say it is a nice one. I am sure you will take care of it. Aunt says, that no one but a bad girl will tear or soil a book. How glad I am to have a kind aunt and a good book.

Vocabulary

Henry, James, George, Ann,
book, poor, got, thing,
dry, blind, made, have,
long, more, then, that,
large, glad, kept, much,
took, good, girls, fine,
some, rest, was, went,
mates, piece, boys, see,
aunt, says, none, soil
Lessons in this series:

First level Recommendations:

Second Level Recommendations:

Third Level Recommendations:

Fourth Level Recommendations:

Fifth Level Recommendations:

Sixth Level Recommendations: