Read Dorothy Sayers: "The Lost Tools of Learning".

Friday, September 12, 2008

1836 First Eclectic Reader: Lesson XVI - The Good Girl.

This is a great opportunity to work on some hand work. Talk about and explain what hemming, frill, and other sewing terms mean.

Lesson XVI


The Good Girl.

Mama, may I sew today? Yes, my child. What do you wish to sew? I wish to hem a frill for your cap. Is not this a new cap? You may make the frill for me. I shall like to wear a frill that you have made. Here is a bit of cloth which will make a nice frill. You must hem it. I will turn it down for you, but take care not to soil it. Wash you hands, and take care to wipe them dry. Now sit down on your low stool. Now you may go on. You will see best here by my side. You must join these two pieces with a seam. When you have sewn as far as this pin, bring it to me to see. Jane sat down upon her stool and sewed like a little lady. In a short time she said, Mama, i have sewn as far as you told me. Will you look at it? Yes, my child, it is well done. If you take pains, as you have done today, you will soon sew well. I wish to sew well, Mama. Then I can help you make caps, and frocks, and I hope to be of some help to you.

Vocabulary

pray, cloth, wipe, these,
sew, hands, dry, look,
hem, frill, pains, you,
new, clean, stood, hope,
bits, were, seam, told
frocks, bring, shirts, soil,
caps, child, side, low,
sat, down, upon, served,
like, little, lady, short,
time, wish, hope, care,
help

First level Recommendations:

Second Level Recommendations:

Third Level Recommendations:

Fourth Level Recommendations:

Fifth Level Recommendations:

Sixth Level Recommendations: